The department of Oral Medicine and Radiology is highly integrated in terms of educational objectives, research activities, and patient care with extremely dedicated faculty of the department working together to achieve these goals. The educational program in the department of Oral Medicine mainly focuses on developing the dental student's skill and knowledge in complete patient evaluation, diagnosis, and treatment planning. The students are educated not only about pathologies affecting the teeth and supporting structures, but also those affecting oral mucosa and salivary glands, oro-facial neurological and chronic pain disorders, and oral manifestations of systemic illness.
A blend of medicine and dentistry is achieved with emphasis on contemporary role of the dentist in a health care environment where an integration of patient's overall health status with dental health is a must. The department of Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology aims at imparting the knowledge and skills among the students with vigorous training in performance and interpretation of radiographs of interest in oral and maxillofacial region. The department is actively involved in the research programs and publications in various national and international journals representing the keen interest of the department in expansion of the breadth and depth of dental medicine and radiology.
- DR. ASHA M. L - HEAD OF THE DEPARTMENT
- DR. B. N. RAJA RATHNAM- SENIOR LECTURER
- DR. MAHESH KUMAR.H. M- SENIOR LECTURER
- DR. LEKSHMY
Department is well equipped with electrically operated chairs and surgical instruments..
Separate divisions for Undergraduate and postgraduate students with sections for sterilizing instruments.
Separate Major and minor O.T theatres with all life savingequipments.
Recovery rooms with all necessary life support equipments.
20 inpatients beds
Department library with books and latest journals as recommended by RGUHS and DCI.
Seminar hall equipped with a projector for presentation of case reports, articles and seminars on various topics in oral and maxillofacial surgery.
Post graduates' room.
Desktop computers with internet facilities.
Diagnosis and Management of facial neuralgias
Diagnosis and Management of TMJ disorders
Biopsy of maxillofacial lesions
Diagnosis and Management of various oral mucosal lesions
Counseling and Management of medically compromised patients
Diagnosis and Management of salivary gland disorders
Early detection and counseling of patients with oral cancers
Intraoral radiographs- Periapical, Bitewing, Occlusal radiographs
Object localization radiographs
SPECIAL POSTING / PERIPHERAL CENTRES
Post graduates attend
Peripheral posting at KR Puram Hospital
One month posting in Department of Oncology and Radiotherapy, Kidwai Hospital, Bangalore
One month posting in Department of Dermatology, General Medicine and General Radiology, St John's Hospital, Bangalore
- RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
- Maxillary lateral incisors as an indicator for age estimation in adults-An in-vivo digital radiographic study - Dr. Swati Garg
- Estimation of serum Ig A, Ig G, Ig M levels in recurrent apthous ulceration-A clinical and biochemical study - Dr. Prem Kumar
- Effect of cigarette smoking on salivary cortisol secretions - Dr. Archana
- Establishing normal range of functional stomatognathic measurements in Indian populationÂ and its importance in screening of patients with oral submucous fibrosis “ a preliminary study - Dr. Archana
- Evaluation of taste dysfunction in type2 diabetes patients and correlation of blood glucose level with taste dysfunction in controlled and uncontrolled diabetics - Dr.Shubhavinyasa
- Awareness and oral health related quality of life in OSMF patients - Dr.Shubhavinyasa
- Age estimation in children by measuring open apices of erupted and non-erupted permanent teeth between 5-15 year old - a digital panoramic study “ Dr. Deepak
- Prevalence of bone changes in condyles of patients with asymptomatic temperomandibular joints its comparison with age, gender and occlusion; a digital panoramic study - Dr. Arun Kumar
- Establishing normal range of functional stomatognathic measurements in Indian population and its importance in screening of patients with Oral submucous fibrosis.
- Awareness about the disease and oral health related quality of life in patients with oral submucous fibrosis.
- Areca nut addiction among female patients - A Pilot study
- Ultrasonographic changes in salivary glands in patients with oral submucous fibrosis.
- CDE PROGRAMME CONDUCTED
- Tooth for truth” conducted on 9th October 2009
- “Sialography and Salivary Gland Disorders “ An Overview” conducted on 21st October 2011
- DR. APRAJITA DUA ( III YEAR)
- DR. LABONI GHORAI ( III YEAR )
- DR. REENU JOSE ( II YEAR )
- DR. PRIYANKA BASAVARAJ LASUNA ( II YEAR )
- DR. ANKITA GUPTA ( I YEAR )
- DR. VINUTHA .N ( I YEAR )
- DR. APRAJITA DUA ( III YEAR)- volumetric analysis of pharyngeal airway in patients with unilateral cleft involving the palate.
- DR. LABONI GHORAI ( III YEAR )- Assessment of artifacts induced by various dental restorative materials or cone beam computed tomography/ and in vitro study.
- DR. REENU JOSE ( II YEAR )- comparison of salivary flow rate, salivary ph and carbon monoxide level of smokers and non- smokers.
- DR. PRIYANKA BASAVARAJ LASUNA ( II YEAR )- Crystallization test as a screening aid for oral malignancy in smokers.